Apply to join our AHEC Scholars Cohort 6: 2023-24
Application window: May 1 – Oct 15, 2023
Notification window: October 23 – 31, 2023
"I would encourage students to sign-up because it has opened so many doors for me and allowed me to become more comfortable networking with individuals outside of my direct field and see the importance of interdisciplinary work."AHEC Scholar, 2020 Cohort 3
ABOUT AHEC SCHOLARS
Join a national cohort of over 6,000 AHEC Scholars setting themselves apart with this nationally-recognized program! The Wisconsin AHEC Scholars two-year program is designed to enhance and broaden your health training with a combination of didactic education and community-based field placement in a Wisconsin rural or underserved community.
- Expand your knowledge of the health challenges and contexts of rural and underserved populations in Wisconsin to help you become a better professional
- Build a professional network within a variety of health disciplines
- Earn a $1,500 stipend over the course of your commitment
- Receive a digital badge through UW Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education
- Gain a competitive edge in marketing yourself to employers
- Be two years away from getting your degree (Fall 2023 Cohort must graduate spring, summer, or fall of 2025).
- Commit to active participation for two consecutive years while concurrently working toward your degree.
- Plan to enter the workforce upon graduation from your current degree program and have an interest in working in a rural and/or underserved area within Wisconsin.
- Be currently enrolled in or accepted to one of the approved degree programs that are at least two years in length.
Approved degree programs
- Dentistry (DDS, DMD)
- Medicine (DO, MD)
- Mental Health Counseling/Psychology (MA, MS, PhD)
- Nurse Practitioner (DNP)
- Occupational Therapy (MOT, OTD)
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA)
- Pharmacy (PharmD)
- Physician Assistant (MPAS)
- Public Health (BPH, MPH, PhD)
- Registered Nurse (ADN, BSN, MSN)
- Social Work (BSW, MSW, PhD)
AHEC Scholars is a two-year program, and each of the components below must be completed in both years one and two, equating to 40 hours of didactic learning and 40 hours of a community-based field placement each year. The first program year runs November 1, 2023 – May 31, 2024 and the second program year runs September 1, 2024 – May 31, 2025.
Attend a virtual orientation at the start of each year. In year one this includes an introduction to the program, the staff, and an overview of the core topic areas.
- AHEC Connect
Choose three out of seven offered virtual AHEC Connect Sessions, which focus on current and relevant health topics and include the opportunity to participate in discussion with other Scholars.
- Community Health Immersion
Select a Community Health Immersion to develop a deeper understanding of health challenges and cultural considerations affecting populations in Wisconsin. AHEC offers a mix of live in-person, live virtual, or virtual on-demand options to accommodate a variety of schedules and topic interests.
- Skills Advancement
Complete a skills advancement training from a selection including a number of certification options to better prepare you for your career and to enhance your resume.
- Field Placement
Get hands-on experience with a 40-hour community-based field placement. Clinical placements coordinated through your academic program may be counted toward this requirement. Your AHEC Scholars Advisor will work with you to approve an existing field placement/internship or to find a placement that matches your interests and career goals.
- Program Evaluation
Participate in an end-of-year program evaluation.