In partnership with communities across the state, AHEC has coordinated the award-winning Wisconsin Express program since the mid 1990s. This program gives undergraduate and graduate health professions students a unique opportunity to become immersed in Wisconsin’s diverse communities and cultures, while they explore health care delivery and public health in medically underserved areas, learning with and from students in other disciplines.
This program emphasizes the following Core Topic Areas:
- Interprofessional Education: Supports a coordinated, patient-centered model of health care that involves an understanding of the contributions of multiple health care professionals (also known as interdisciplinary training).
- Social Determinants of Health: Includes the five key areas (determinants) of economic stability, education, social and community context, health and health care, and neighborhood and built environment, and their impact on health.
- Cultural Competency: Seeks to improve individual health and build healthy communities by training health care providers to recognize and address the unique culture, language and health literacy of diverse consumers and communities.
Winter 2022 Virtual WI Express
January 10-14, 2022
Take a virtual tour around the state of Wisconsin and explore the unique cultures and communities of each of our seven regions. Connect with community leaders and fellow health professions students from around Wisconsin in an engaging live virtual format.
Topics in the Winter 2022 Virtual Program include:
- Cultural Safety
- Indigenous Culture and Health
- Hmong Culture and Health Practices
- Behavioral Health and African Americans
- Hispanic/Immigrant Populations
Program fee: $25
Program times: The program will run 9:00am-3:30pm January 10-14, 2022.
CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION
Applications will close November 14th
January 10-30, 2022
New this year is the option to incorporate the WI Express program into a one-credit course offered through UW-Madison. In addition to the core program, the course includes a number of assignments designed to reflect and expand on your experience.
- Taking this credit is required for UW-Madison Global Health students to count WI Express as their field experience
- Junior or Senior standing or graduate-level required to take the course for credit
- Accepted students will be given permission to enroll in the course
- Credit counts toward spring semester 2022 course load
- UW-Madison spring 2022 tuition rates apply
- Students at universities outside of UW-Madison have the responsibility of determining how to transfer credit back to their home institution
- All coursework is administered through Canvas, an online digital learning environment
- The course includes the core WI Express program from Jan 10-14 and an additional two weeks of asynchronous work with assignment deadlines through January 30th (live attendance is required Jan 10-14, but there will be no additional live instruction Jan 15-30)
More information to come! Applications for Spring Break 2022 WI Express will open mid-November.
More information to come! Applications for Summer 2022 WI Express will open February 2022.