Wisconsin Health Service Areas – Maps
Wisconsin AHEC has recently completed a project to map health service areas in Wisconsin. The primary objective for developing this service area geography is to facilitate local health workforce analysis. The service areas also provide a useful framework for monitoring local program outcomes related to health workforce development and population health status.
Each of the 135 service areas consists of a hub city and neighboring municipalities. With some exceptions (in northern Wisconsin and border communities) each service area has a population of at least 10,000, with most of the service area population within 30 minutes travel time of the hub city. Service areas are further identified by urban or rural type using 2010 U.S. Census data on urban density.
- Presentation on Wisconsin Health Service Areas (PDF) : A presentation explaining how the service areas were developed and how they might be used.
- Introduction to Wisconsin Health Service Areas (13 pages) : Explanation of the Health Service Areas with information on population and facilities of individual service areas, with maps and data summaries by service area region and urban and rural service area type.
- Wisconsin HSAs 1.0 with Geo IDs 4-1-15 (download spreadsheet): Service Area lists with Geo IDs in spreadsheet format by municipality and zip code are available for download.
- To use these files for mapping, please see the HSA Shape File Maps page
If you would like to use the Service Areas in your own research and have questions, please contact Nancy Sugden, Director of the Wisconsin AHEC Program, directly.
Service area data tables:
Reports prepared by Wisconsin AHEC based on the Health Service Areas geography, with additional maps and data tables:
- Urban and Rural Service Area Comparisons
- Comparing Other Geographies
- Service Area Demographics: Age, Poverty, Unemployment, Insurance Status
Full page maps:
- Health Service Areas showing municipalities grid
- Health Service Areas regional grouping
- Compare municipalities and zipcode versions of HSAs
- Rural and Urban Service Areas
- HSAs with county overlay
- HSAs with Dartmouth PCSA overlay
- Health Professions Shortage Areas with HSA overlay
- HSA Demographics
- Physician Distribution: All Physicians, Primary Care Physicians, Subspecialty Medicine, Surgical Specialties, Other Specialties, Psychiatrists only
- Population to Primary Care Ration and Designated Shortage Areas (HPSAs)
- Primary Care Physician Retirement
- Population to Primary Care Physician Ratio and Projected Physician Retirement
To receive a notice when other maps and materials related to the Wisconsin Health Service Areas become available, please put your name on our distribution list by sending an email to email@example.com with “Health Service Areas” in the subject line.