In partnership with communities across the state, AHEC has coordinated the award-winning Wisconsin Express program since the mid 1990s. This program gives health professions students a unique opportunity to become immersed in Wisconsin’s diverse communities and cultures, while they explore health care delivery and public health in medically underserved areas, learning with and from students in other disciplines.
The week-long program is held annually in mid-May at about a dozen regional sites, with selected additional offerings during Spring Break.
COVID-19 Program Updates
- All three of our Spring Break sites were canceled.
- We are offering four virtual Summer experiences during the week of May 17 – 22:
- Combined La Crosse & Lancaster
- Combined Green Bay & Sheboygan
- Combined Eau Claire & Marshfield
- Northern Highland AHEC is rescheduling our in-person Wisconsin Express programs for August 16th -19th (Sunday – Wednesday). Our two August Wisconsin Express programs will each be a full 40 hours, although there is the possibility that the programs could be cancelled depending on continued ‘Safer at Home’ provisions. Both Northern Highland AHEC Wisconsin Express sites focus on Native American/Indigenous people, providing culturally responsive and competent healthcare, and learning about the social determinants of health in a real-world context. Click here for more info on either site Minocqua – Keshena
- We have tentatively rescheduled the following sites to next program year (exact dates TBD):
Students who applied and were accepted to our WI Express program this year will receive communication regarding the options listed above.